Holy Trinity Church of Pueblo
South Pueblo was organized and incorporated as a town under the laws of the old Territory of Colorado on October 27, 1873, A second Episcopal church was organized in this new town in 1881. It was first named St. Paul's and later changed to Holy Trinity. In December of 1882, a contract was approved for the construction of a church at a cost of $2,400 and the first service was held on Palm Sunday of 1884. Holy Trinity was sold to the Divine Scientists on June30, 1952 for the sum of $35,000 and its members incorporated with the Church of the Ascension.
St. Peter's Episcopal Church Pueblo
Pueblo's first religious edifice was erected at the northwest corner of Seventh Street and Santa Fe Avenue in 1868 at a cost of $3,865. Colorado Territory Bishop George M. Randall provided $1,000 toward the costs and dedicated the building on July 1, 1869. The Reverend Frank Wilson, an Episcopalian missionary priest and eight prominent Pueblo men organized the parish until it encountered financial difficulties. In 1891 the majority of the congregation departed to establish the Church of the Ascension.
Church of the Ascension
The mission of Ascension was formed on the feast of the Ascension, May 12, 1891. The newly formed congregation rented the old Presbyterian church building at the corner of Ninth & Court Sts. for $20.00 per month. The first services were held there on June 21, 1891. On April 3, 1893, the vestry men of Ascension Mission petitioned the Bishop to become a parish with the Rev. Reginal Radcliffe elected Rector. In 1902-03, Ascension rented the old St. Peter's Church until the new church was completed at 18th & Grand in 1914. The building was dedicated by the Right Reverend Charles Sandord Olmstead, Bishop of Colorado on June 21, 1914. The rector at that time was The Reverend Thomas Casady.
In the mid 1980's, Ascension added a Columbarium. Departed loved ones of the parish could be interred on the church site. This provided another way for Ascension to meet the needs of parishioners.
Ascension parish is a vital christian community, committed to nurturing the Christian faith and life of its members, and reaching out in love to Pueblo and the larger world. The Church of the Ascension is an active and growing parish with a caring and enthusiastic membership. Ascension has ministries and opportunities for participation for all ages.